Wednesday, October 13, 2004

It's All About Who, Jesus?

I read this article by Brian McLaren several weeks ago. He's on about the fact that so many contemporary songs of Christian worship are confined to what Jesus has done for me. I've found his thoughts very stimulating as I've just sat through another session of worship in a project I'm involved with called Medway Celebrate where all the music was about my sins being forgiven. Don't get me wrong: it's amazing, thrilling and wonderful that God has done that for me - and made it available to one and all. But I've felt increasingly disconnected in such worship and McLaren helps me understand that my need and reasons to worship need considerable expansion beyond personal blessing. His majestic creation; his passion for justice; etc. There are of course some fairly dismal and moralistic hymns on those subjects, but if only someone could match some good lyrics to stirring contemporary music we might get somewhere. Well we would if some of us could break out of our spiritual narcissism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home